Discussion Board of What is La Brega?

In the episode, the word La Brega has many definitions for different Spanish people.  the word La Brega can be described as struggle, survival, work, or determination. This episode is about the struggle Puerto Ricans go through and how they live their life until this accident happens and the struggle they going through. They also revealed the different aspects of the Puerto Rican experience and they also mention that if it wasn’t for the hurricane that happened Puerto Rica would not get any kind of attention or helps.

While listening to the episode, I realized Puerto Ricans have to deal with so much in their everyday life, and how they can’t do anything about it, they have to push themself to be able to survive this type of condition. It also makes me think that even though life is tough, we must push ourselves to find the peace/happiness we want. So even though Puerto Ricans go through those things, they find a way to stay positive and which makes me alway think positively and not negatively cause those things could bring your happiness down.

Besides Spanish people, How would other nations view La Brega? Can other Spanish countries relate to the struggle the Puerto Rican going through or how they related to this struggle?

13 thoughts on “Discussion Board of What is La Brega?

1. Aalyah E De Leon (She/Them)

I think other nations may see La Brega as something that makes everything more difficult and even though that is a Spanish word mostly used in PR and DR, many other Latin American countries go through it because of the government and how they are the ones that make the people have to survive because of their government lack of commitment. Just as many countries go through different problems that may be could be something normal for them it should be fixed.

2. Lis

I believe other Spanish countries can relate to the struggle Puerto Rico is going through. In other countries like Honduras or Guatemala, there are extreme struggles the people there face and are left to survive by the government as well. Other nations would view La Brega as a poor struggling territory but would pay no attention and give no help to them.

3. Andre Osagie

I think that other countries can definitely relate to the everyday struggle that the podcast displays. Whether or not they can’t feel the pain that the people of Puerto Rico can go through, they can keep it pushing and keep a smile on their face and deal with the struggles they live with.

4. Jeremy Salvador

I believe that other nations all have their own type of “la brega”, because the struggle of life is shared universally. And in order to to keep pushing through the everyday struggle, people have to find an escape and share this experience with those who are also going through this struggle.

5. deandre smith (him)

I believe every country can relate through the everyday struggle of trying to provide a lifestyle for yourselves without being stressed constantly. But I also believe in certain countries like the United States people tend not to let others know when they struggle and go through it in silence.

6. Melissa Pena (she/her)

I think that everyone, no matter where they’re from, can relate to being in some kind of brega. Whether it is through government corruption, poverty, war, etc. people are constantly struggling in various ways, but it is up to the people to decide how they want to react to those struggles.

7. David Castro

Everybody and every country no matter how rich and poor moments, there is always some type of struggle people face. Some struggles a similar and some are different. Many countries can relate to Puerto Rico’s struggle like Dominican Republic, Honduras, Haiti, and Venezuela. These countries have similar or different struggles, dealing with stuff like, corrupt government, environment, crimes, and etc.

8. Israel Melian (He/Him)

I believe, that no matter what background or lifestyle you may come from, one way or another there will always be some kind of obstacle set in your path that one may struggle with. Whether it be trying to pay rent when its due, dealing with the outcomes of a war, or struggling with school. Other spanish countries like the Dominican Republic can relate to Puerto Rico’s kind of struggle due in terms of getting by day to day due to the conditions they live in.

9. Steven Portillo (He/Him)

Many people see “La Brega” as a way of adapting and surviving as previously mentioned by one of my classmates in the first conversation that many people adapt in DR to the situations in which they live, and a similar thing happens in my country, El Salvador, in which everyone uses what they have to survive and live a “decent” life.

10. Hernan Guerrero (He/Him/His)

I believe that other nations will view La brega as perseverance through the struggle. Other nations can relate to the struggle Puerto Rico goes through because every now and than a country can face a major problem whether natural disaster or political issues, making people come up with innovative ways to continue with there everyday lives during these times and essentially persevere through the struggle together.

11. Esma Ismailova (She/Her)

I think other people would look at “la brega” as a term that not only brings people together but also describes something that is hard to describe. I do feel like other nations are going through similar things as well. Government authority, unfortunately, turns their heads when it comes to things that they see as small problems compared to the things that they could benefit from.