Listening Party-Madelyn

In his album Hotter than July Wonder addresses many issues that black people face. According to the article Review of Hotter Than July by Stephen Holden “Dedicated to Martin Luther King jr. Hotter Than July actually addresses black issues and its vision of romantic love is for a change.” Also according to the podcast Lost Notes 1980s “I and a growing number of people believe that it is time for our country to adopt legislation that will make January 15, Martin Luther King’s birthday, a national holiday, both in recognition of what he achieved and as a reminder of the distance which still has to be traveled.Join me in observance of January 15, 1981, as a national holiday.” After this speech he wrote the song “happy birthday” to emphasize his support on Jan 15 being dedicated to MLK.” This shows Wonder using his platform to speak out on historical events and in a way creating a movement.  An example of this in the present is a song by rapper Lil Baby called The Bigger Picture. In this song he describes the unfortunate truth about police brutality. According to the lyrics, “I gave ’em chance and chance and chance again. I even told them please. I find it crazy the police will shoot you and know that you are dead. But still tell you to freeze. It’s too many mothers that’s grieving. They are killing us for no reason. Been going on for too long to get even.” This shows how the same things Wonder was using his music for, artists today also do as well.