Review Discussion 3/2

Ep. 3 of La Brega’s ‘An Encyclopedia of Betrayal’ narrates and emphasizes the true mean of “La Brega.” In this film, we can see the impact of corrupt government/politics, hurricane Maria, colonialism, economic crisis, and the struggle for independence. The Puerto Rican people have long been fighting for social and environmental justice for their Island. Many activists, artists, and journalists have come out to express their thoughts and fight for their rights against those in high political power by who they have been terribly betrayed.

My take on this episode is that Puerto Ricans are fighting against the biggest Brega ever and multiple brega’s at the same time. Being betrayed by their own people who are supposed to support and defend them has allowed many of them to flee and migrate somewhere else, but at the same time allows them to unify and defend their rights and most importantly their freedom of speech.

A question I would love to ask is, does freedom of speech still exist, and if it doesn’t how can we regain that right back?

17 thoughts on “Review Discussion 3/2

1. Aalyah E De Leon (She/Them)

In this episode is that it seemed to me something totally new and strange the way in which the government distrusted everyone and the fear that this showed since that fear only made it clear that Puerto Rican independence was possible but what the fear of these ‘carpetas’ was what made them back down more than they should have done.
    The freedom to express oneself still exists, it is very obvious that even now it is more powerful than ever since we have the means to make ourselves heard and although some people in power try to restrict that, silencing angry people is very difficult. An example of Puerto Rico is how the government currently wants to sell the beaches as private property but its people through their social networks protest and have made the world aware of this situation that the government tried to hide.

2. Andre Osagie

I personally feel as if the freedom of speech is very contradicting. Yes you can say as you please, but at the same time you words have consequences to who you share them with. It’s always been that way so it’s not like we can get something back that we never had in the first place.

3. BRIAN SMITH (Hacked/By/EbRaHiM/VaKeR///////////////Hacking/Tool)

The initial idea behind freedom of speech still exists. Freedom of speech was created so that people could freely express themselves and their beliefs without persecution, it was also created so we could speech out against tyranny and mistreatments in society and the government. However, in todays world speaking out freely for what you believe in or feel is too often met by degradation and being humiliated by people who take offense to things that were said. All in all freedom of speech itself is still alive but the ability to say whatever you want is no longer viable.

4. Esma Ismailova

What is freedom of speech? The ability and freedom to say what you want, when you want, how you want and to who you want. I do not personally think that we have freedom of speech due to the limitations that we are put under by our constitution. The constitution might say we have freedom of speech but it is a limited freedom of speech meaning the definition of being able to say what we want, when we want to who we want, however we want. Is not applicable.

5. Brian Saavedra (He/Him)

I believe that the freedom of speech does exist in some shape or form but that it doesn’t really have an effect. I believe this because one voice does not have an effect without people to back up claims. Without leading and supporting voices, your voice does not matter to those in charge of regulating what is a nation wide importance. A question I had was that ‘ do the people of Puerto Rico have the same rights as the people living in the U.S. and if so then why do you infringe on a persons birth right to privacy?

6. Brenda Arellano

Freedom of speech does exist because in many cases when using our voices, change of some sort occurs, such as BLM movement, changes in Jim crow Laws, and women have gained more Equality from using freedom of speech.

7. Jeremy Salvador

I believe that freedom of speech is still present in the U.S, but although we have this freedom this doesn’t take away the fact that our words could be used against us.

8. Aalyah E De Leon (She/Them)

The freedom to express oneself still exists, now it is more powerful than ever since we have the means to make ourselves heard and although some people in power try to restrict that, silencing people that want justice is very difficult.

9. Hernan Guerrero

Freedom of Speech does still exist. but depending on what you say there are consequences that come with this freedom.

10. Steven Portillo (He/Him)

We have freedom of speech but is limited because we are able to say whatever we want to say but we are also limited to saying what we truly want to say, meaning that we don’t have full freedom of speech. And a question I had was: what caused the author to wonder if we have freedom of speech?

11. Christina Lebron (they/them)

Freedom of speech of course still does exist because people are still freely able to speak on what they enjoy and what they want. But what many people miss is that everything you say will come with a reaction or consequence, positive , negative or neutral. In some unfortunate cases, freedom of speech does not exist for some people because the government tries to either silence them or shuts off and completely ignores things being said. Similar to whenever Puerto Ricans go through situations, their outlet to express themselves is through social media because at times the government does not take action or care.

12. Madelyn Martinez

Freedom of speech does not exists anymore because I believe that nowadays things are always being blown out of proportion especially with the current generation that is sensitive to a lot of topics and has created cancel culture which has everyone in fear of what opinion they state.

13. Israel Melian

I believe that freedom of speech still does exist. One can have freedom of speech, it’s just more so that what you say, another person might not so much agree with you. What I believe more so what this episode has to deal with is maybe ones oppression of freedom of speech, but I think this act was more so an operation to hold an oppression on ones beliefs, decisions, and privacy. The government isn’t happy with the decisions that the people of Puerto Rico who want independence are making, they wanted to oppress them, and even went so far as to invade their privacy and keep a log on them. Which I believe isn’t so right.

14. Roosenaele Remfort

I believe Freedom of speech still exists because you have the right to say whatever you want maybe some people might agree with what you say but according to the episode it seems that Puerto Rico didn’t have the Freedom of speech they supposed to have because the government didn’t agree with their decision they make for themself and the government was mad so they invade Puerto Rico privacy which was not cool at all.